Sidmouth Under-7s impress with their version of the Haka
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-7s met neighbours Exmouth and there were over 60 youngsters engaged in some terrific junior rugby, writes Simon Dunstan.
Exmouth as one of the largest club’s in the area are always a pleasure to host at Sidmouth as they, like ourselves, are blessed with a great intake of new players each year to our game and able to match the five teams that the Under-7s were able to muster for the fixture.
This number of players shows that rugby is a highly popular sport throughout East Devon and also shows great enthusiasm of our youngest junior teams to travel locally as well as thanks to the band of parents that bring their children along, week on week come rain and shine.
Sidmouth U7 teams did have mixed fortunes across the many games played with both sides able to impress with displays of some good basic rugby skills. Exmouth on this occasion proved to be the stronger of the teams wining the majority of the matches, leaving the Sidmouth’s coaches some things to work on over the next few weeks of training ahead of games against Topsham and Cullompton.
The Sidmouth ‘Player of the Day’ award went to new recruit Chloe Wray who provided an entertaining display of precision passing, top rate tagging whilst also sharing the captaincy of the all girls team consisting of Beth Kent , Elsie Wiltshire, Evie Fudge and Maddie Russell
You may also want to watch:
There was also some notable play from Jonno Fletcher with his darting runs and others to stand out were Zac Dunstan, Henry Ritchie , Ewan Kirk and Noah Helm who teamed up to run in a number of well worked tries.
Our thanks go to Exmouth RFC for making the day an enjoyable experience for all involved.
- 1 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 2 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 3 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 9 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 10 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb