Sidmouth Under-8s power way to twin Teignmouth success
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-8s emerged as comfortable winners in their two matches against Teignmouth.
With the ground a lot firmer than it has been in recent weeks it gave license to the fleet-footed Sidmouth players and they took full advantage, revelling in the conditions having previously had to wade their way through the mud!
Alex Bagwell skippered the first Sidmouth team in action and he led by example early on when his jinking run took him deep into Teigns territory where he passed to Charlie Turley to cross the line for the opening try.
Teignmouth responded well, but Sidmouth held their line and, after a minute of pressure which pushed the Teignmouth line back 10 metres, the ball was turned over for Herbie Isherwood to score in the corner.
This pattern continued throughout the match with the addition of the odd cheeky Charlie Turley interception or two!
You may also want to watch:
The team as a whole played superbly with Leon Rowley and Sam Hartland defending well and good runs from Jack Pugh and Reece Hext taking them to a 13-7 final score.
The next Sidmouth team then had a go as well. Two things set the sides apart; the tag tackling and the direct running.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Property of the Week: Glebelands
- 7 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 8 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 A couple of new starts for Ottery Bowling Club
On a good big pitch with plenty of space to run, Sidmouth closed the Teigns down with a belligerently active defence and exceptional individual performances from Ellie Monro Higgs and Imy Bagwell. The pair frequently turned over the ball and gave opportunity for some forceful running from Toby Sandford, and the twins Zac and Luca Arver, with Scotty Monro Higgs easing their way up-field down either flank to run in a clutch of tries. Thomas Grove ended the game with a full pitch scything, sidestepping run and a try which brought rapturous applause from the crowd.
Morale soared with their best victory yet at 10-1 for Sidmouth!
At the final whistle the young Sidmouth side were 10-1 victors.