Sidmouth Under-9s play with a big smile in matches against Exeter Chiefs
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-9s were able to field three teams for matches with Exeter Chiefs.
Playing the first game of the morning Sidmouth were straight into their tackles with Exeter Chiefs winning the toss and opting to start with the ball. Captained by Thomas Grove, some good low tackles were made by all along with straight running. Chiefs scored first with Sidmouth replying soon after. The Chiefs number four put in some excellent tackles and, at half-time, the scores were equal. An exciting second half followed, at the end of which Sidmouth edged victory.
Team two took on a Chiefs side clearly wounded by their earlier defeat!
Alexander Goody rallied his players and set a fine example with his fast and robust running to open the try account. Being exposed to the contact game for only the second match they stuck to their defensive task well, Jack Pugh and Tom Bird making their presence well known to the opposition!
Victory was not to be there’s. However, they all trooped off with heads held high after a promising all-round show.
You may also want to watch:
The third match was played at a fast pace with tackles requiring the turn over of the ball a number of times and neither side giving an inch.
The Sidmouth team improved throughout the match losing the first half, but drawing the second as players such as Laisey Jackson, Ben Brook, Tom Biggers and Ellie Monro Higgs dug deep and stepped up to the mark to produce tackle after tackle.
- 1 Husband and wife team take over at White & Son Shoes
- 2 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 3 New women’s team created at Sidmouth Rugby Club
- 4 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 5 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 6 Men replicating ladies at Ottery Bowls Club
- 7 Latest news and results from Sidmouth Bowls
- 8 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 9 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
- 10 'No further action' after 11 deaths at Sidford care home
Newer players such as Toby and William Morris, Ted Jenkins, Will Daniels and Dominic Clapp improved immensely learning to protect the ball so Exeter couldn’t get their hands on it. The Sidmouth try was created by a pass from Imy Bagwell setting up Daisy Grove to run half the length of the pitch outpacing the Exeter players!