Sidmouth Under-9s victorious in meetings with Bridport
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth RFC Under-9s hosted a determined Bridport team at Sidford.
The early exchanges were closely contested with Bridport playing some good rugby and the first few phases ended with honours even.
Slowly, but surely, Sidmouth started to step up the pace and, thanks to some strong tackling and dogged defending from Ollie Marsh and Ned Coles, Bridport found it hard to breach the try line. By the end of the first quarter Sidmouth had managed to get ahead thanks to some excellent team interplay and a couple of fantastic individual tries from Will Pullman and Fin Cotton.
Sidmouth were constantly putting the opposition line under pressure and turned over possession several times. With the ball Sidmouth started to ease clear with Christian Pinnock evading tackle after tackle to jink his way to a try and with excellent contributions from the whole team Sidmouth found themselves 7-4 ahead at half-time.
In the second half Sidmouth’s strength in depth started to tell and gaps started to appear in the Bridport line. Morgan West was able to power his way to the try line and with strong support play several periods of Bridport possession were broken down.
You may also want to watch:
Late on, thanks to a lovely run, Lucy Tanner powered over the line for one of the tries of the game before Player of the Match Will Pullman scored his fourth try.
The game ended 15-9 and credit must be given to the dogged display the small Bridport squad gave, although in the end Sidmouth’s all-round tackling, passing and power, proved too much for them.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 10 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences