Sidmouth Under-9s Warriors and Raiders celebrate another fine campaign
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Under-9s held a most successful end of season awards which was well supported, writes Chris Elsom.
The event began with a much anticipated parents versus players friendly. Mind you, once the opening whistle went the tackles started to come thick and fast with father and son battling for every ball. The mum’s were just as bad and despite a nervous start some parents were soon into their stride displaying some footballing skills possibly learnt in the playground a few years before!
The Mums were so enthusiastic that after the first game ended in a hard fought draw they then decided to enter a ladies only team against a mixed Warriors and Raiders Under-9s team. In a very competitive game several chances went close from both teams, despite this the game ended goalless, the boys noting some decisions going against them! Neither team was willing to end it as a draw so it went into penalties with the boys finally edging it.
Following the football the awards were presented to both the Warriors and Raiders, it has been a very successful season for the squad having won the League Cup a few weeks ago. Both sets of players were very deserving of their trophies, with every player receiving an award.
The Raiders’ Managers award went to Mihal Bielawski with Charley Turley picking it up for Warriors. In terms of the Players’ Player award, Ben Elsom took the honour for Warriors and Thomas Fletcher for Raiders.
You may also want to watch:
Further awards went to Dev Nair, Toby Edmunds and Jamie Pitter for the Warriors and Dean Lynch , David Clapp and Jo Anning for the Raiders. The League Managers award is due to go to Callum French and Will Pulman at the end of the month. The coaches would like to thank, the players for their hard work and dedication this season and all the parents for their continued support and enthusiasm.
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 5 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 6 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 7 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 8 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 9 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal