Sidmouth Warriors Under-10s into KO Cup quarter finals
Sidmouth Warriors Under-10s won an Exeter and District Youth League KO Cup quarter final berth in a dramatic penalty shot-out against Pinhoe Spartans, writes Chris Roberts.
Warriors, with home advantage, began well and were close to taking an early lead only to see the visiting keeper make a superb save to keep out a thunderous effort from Charlie Roberts.
That set the tone for a thrilling cup tie that produced end-to-end action, but neither side could find a finish and half-time was reached with the game still seeking its first goal.
There was more of the same after the break with Warriors forcing the pace, but again the Pins gloves man was equal to the efforts of Ewan Babcock and Ben Fisher. Even when an Oliver Beach shot finally got the better of the goalkeeper the crossbar came to his rescue!
With the second half also failing to produce a goal a cagey period of extra-time was contested. Both sides fashioned chances in the added time, but both goalkeepers were in no mood to be beaten and the game ended without a goal and so moved to the dreaded penalty shoot-out to determine the winner.
You may also want to watch:
Pinhoe won the toss of the coin to win the option of first or second with the penalty kicks. They went first and their opening kick was well saved by Freddie Roberts. Up stepped Charlie Roberts and he kept his nerve to tuck the kick away and give Warriors the edge. The second Pinhoe kick was again superbly beaten out by Freddie Roberts and that left Warriors skipper Oliver Beach to rifle his kick home to launch the post-match celebrations.
Both sides were applauded off the pitch at the end as a large crowd showed their appreciation for the young footballers efforts.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby