Sidmouth Warriors Under-10s suffer penalty shoo-out cup heartbreak
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Warriors Under-10s were edged out of the Exeter and District League KO Cup by the narrowest of margins when they lost a penalty shoot-out against Whipton.
Whipton showed early intent and their early threat culminate din a fifth minute penalty.
However, Warriors gloves man Freddie Roberts kept the spot kick out with a super save.
That seemed to launch a first half of Whipton dominating much of the possession, but they as they did, they found young Roberts in sensational form in the Warriors goal!
After the break Warriors came into the game more, but they then found themselves up against a gloves man having as goods as day as their own!
You may also want to watch:
It seemed as if Warriors were set to win a close encounter when a thirty-yard bullet of a shot from Adam Jabri looked destined for the top corner only for the Whipton goalkeeper to make a marvellous save!
The contest moved into extra-time and in this period Whipton struck the Warriors bar whilst Warriors were denied in a one-on-one with the goalkeeper.
- 1 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 4 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 5 Westpoint one of two news venues to be used for vaccine roll out
- 6 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 7 Sidmouth Rugby Club’s Devon success stories
- 8 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 9 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 10 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
With neither side able to find a goal the contest was determined by a penalty shoot-out, and this was a competition won by the Exeter side by the narrowest of margins.
Post match both sets of players embraced underlining just how enthralling – and close- the contest was. The game was also a credit to the age group.