Sidmouth Warriors Under-8s star Vickery passes 50 goals for the season
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Warriors Under-8s had mixed fortunes when they came up against Broadclyst and Bradninch in their latest Exeter and District Youth League matches.
First up, against Broadclyst, Warriors found themselves up against certainly the best side that have faced this season.
What Warriors did not need to face such quality opposition as ‘bare bones’ in playing, but that’s what they were forced to do as they had just a bare five for the match, owing to Easter holidays.
The game had a frenetic start and Alistair Mounoury went close to scoring after just two minutes before Clyst got their noses in front and then went on to power home no fewer than five goals in just 10 minutes to lead 5-0 at the interval!
During t he break the Warriors coaching staff gave a confidence boosting talk and the team looked to have an extra spring in their step from the restart.
You may also want to watch:
They bossed long periods of the second half and reduced the arrears early on when Mounoury set up Lucas Vickery to score. It then got even better for Warriors with goalkeeper Oscar Finch applying quick-thinking, playing the ball to Mounoury and he promptly beat two Broadclyst players before rifling the ball home.
Later in the game young Finch hurt his hand making a brave save and Lucas O’Connor took over between the posts. However, there were no further goals at either end and Warriors were beaten 5-2. Ethan Isaac pressed well down the left side in what was a much improved second half team display.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 4 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
They bounced back against Bradninch with Lucas O’Connor firing Warriors into a first minute lead. A defensive mix-up was pounced on by Bradninch to level things up at 1-1, but the lead was swiftly restored with Lucas Vickery the scorer. The goal was the 50th of the campaign for the goal-machine that is Lucas Vickery!
Indeed, by the time Vickery took over from Ethan Isaac in goal, he had added five more to his season’s tally! O’Connor scored his second of the game, taking him to 20 for the campaign and Warriors led 8-2 at half-time.
Defender Oscar Finch provided the assist for Isaac to score the 9th and scorer then turned provider for Alistair Mounoury to make it 10-2.
The final goal was scored by Isaac with O’Connor providing the assist.
The day’s Warriors’ Man of the Match was Lucas Vickery, but all the players on duty can be proud of their efforts.