Sidmouth well beaten by touring side Barnwood
- Credit: Archant
A busy past week saw Sidmouth welcome a couple of touring sides, writes Carol Smith.
First up was a visit from Oxfordshire-based Abingdon, who arrived with six mixed rinks.
A most enjoyable afternoon was had by all and when the final wood was delivered the scores were 120-112 in favour of the home bowlers.
The top Sidmouth rink on the day was the one of captain Mike, Karen Hollingdale, Gordon Brown and Janice Quinn.
The second touring side was Gloucestershire-based Barnwood, who pitched up on a beautiful sun-kissed Sidmouth day to contest 10 rinks. Barnwood were a great crowd and clearly enjoyed their visit.
You may also want to watch:
At the halfway mark of the action, there were just a few shots between the teams. However, at the close, the visitors were clear winners having won on eight of the 10 rinks with an overall shots difference of42!
The two successful home rinks were the ones of Ann England, Mike Daw, Brenda Somerfield and skip Mike Borst (30-17) and Jean Brimson, Jim Brown, Janet Thomson and skip Peter Mison (31-17).
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 4 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 5 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 6 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 7 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 8 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
Needless to say, our opponents walked away to their local hotel very happy.