Sidmouth win team event at Otter Rail and River run
- Credit: Archant
This year we ran the Otter Rail and River 10k the other way round and it is extraordinary how different it looks and feels when you change direction, writes John Perratt.
Unfortunately, it also tripped up young Jason Drew who, although running it for the first time, sped off like a long dog at the start only to take a wrong turn very early on and then couldn’t get back into his rhythm.
A trio of runners led by Simon Minting of Exeter Harriers plus our own Grey Grierson and Milan Goc took full advantage of his slip and took the first three places. As a consolation Jason joined Grey and Milan in collecting the Team prize for Sidmouth Running Club. Other Prize Winners were Colin Flood (first Male 60) and Jane Beech (first Lady 45), but the Ladies Team Prize slipped away from us and went to a very strong Exmouth Harriers’ squad.
The short Fun Run held just before the main race attracted a good field of enthusiastic youngsters who were all taken for a quick warm up by Janet Ackford before the race and this inspired some good performances from all of them. The course is traditionally quite muddy but conditions underfoot were good this year and instead it was the heat that took its toll on most of the field.
Jo Earlam, the race organiser, however had ensured that there was plenty of water around the course and this was gratefully received as the race developed. Afterwards John Ball took advantage of the nearby River Otter to go for a quick swim in order to cool down. It was good also to see Simon Hollyer making his race debut and a welcome return for Shaun Tipton alongside the familiar Sidmouth faces.
You may also want to watch:
The complete Sidmouth results were; Grey Grierson 29.28; Milan Goc 40.24; Jason Drew 41.48; Jane Beech 48.51; Naomi Garrick 50.35; Colin Flood 52.27; Nigel Dupain 52.46; John Ball 57.18; John Doherty 59.30; Shaun Tipton 1.00.10; Simon Hollyer 1.03.29; Tony Velterop 1.04.27; Chris Robinson 1.08.04; John Perratt 1.16.52.
Thanks also to the backmarkers Ruth and John Chesters, Ruth Burrow and Bill Valentine who made sure that everyone got round safely.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients