Sidmouth win the annual Picture Match meeting with East Devon
- Credit: Archant
On Saturday, Sidmouth Golf Club visited East Devon to play in the Picture Match, writes John Barnard.
This is one of the longest standing fixtures in East Devon and is an two legged annual battle for bragging rights and the ownership of the trophy, a picture denoting the original challenge issued for a match with original cartoon.
The first leg had resulted in a large Sidmouth win so at the half way stage, Sidmouth were leading by 11.25 to 2.75.
The team were confident after such a strong performance, but after the first four foursome matches (strangely worth 1.5 points each instead of the customary point), East Devon had pegged Sidmouth back by winning 5.25 points to Sidmouth’s .75.
Only Will Hastie and David Pepperell succeeded in halving a match, the other three were lost.
You may also want to watch:
However, in the eight single matches, Sidmouth players were superb, winning four and managed a half in another so that the overall lead was 16.5 to 11.5; a comprehensive victory.
The successful singles players were Neil Holland, Duncan Taylor, Martyn White and Matt Bavington with David Bater managing a half.
- 1 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 2 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 3 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 4 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 5 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
- 6 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 7 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 8 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 9 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
- 10 Popular Sidmouth swimathon set to return this year
The Picture was returned to Sidmouth for another year and will take pride of place in the clubhouse for all to se