Sidmouth win the annual Picture Match meeting with East Devon
- Credit: Archant
On Saturday, Sidmouth Golf Club visited East Devon to play in the Picture Match, writes John Barnard.
This is one of the longest standing fixtures in East Devon and is an two legged annual battle for bragging rights and the ownership of the trophy, a picture denoting the original challenge issued for a match with original cartoon.
The first leg had resulted in a large Sidmouth win so at the half way stage, Sidmouth were leading by 11.25 to 2.75.
The team were confident after such a strong performance, but after the first four foursome matches (strangely worth 1.5 points each instead of the customary point), East Devon had pegged Sidmouth back by winning 5.25 points to Sidmouth’s .75.
Only Will Hastie and David Pepperell succeeded in halving a match, the other three were lost.
You may also want to watch:
However, in the eight single matches, Sidmouth players were superb, winning four and managed a half in another so that the overall lead was 16.5 to 11.5; a comprehensive victory.
The successful singles players were Neil Holland, Duncan Taylor, Martyn White and Matt Bavington with David Bater managing a half.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 3 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 4 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 8 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
The Picture was returned to Sidmouth for another year and will take pride of place in the clubhouse for all to se