Sidmouth win the Exeter and East Devon section of the Devon Twenty20 cup - thanks to superb Liam Lewis innings.
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth won the Exeter and East Devon section of the Devon Twenty20 Cup with a thrilling victory over Exmouth at Knightshayes on Sunday.
After the two teams saw off Exeter (Sidmouth beat them in the morning semi-final tie) and hosts Heathcoat (Exmouth triumphed in the afternoon semi-final), the pair went head-to-head in front of a huge crowd at a sun-kissed Knightshayes.
Sidmouth batted first and powered their way to 176 thanks to a simply stunning knock from Liam Lewis.
Exmouth made a cracking start to the run chase but having raced to 50 inside five overs they lost four wickets for no runs and Sidmouth were back in charge.
Gray Chappell did his best to thwart Sidmouth and carried his bat from first delivery to last for an unbeaten 82, but 13 from the final over bowled by Scott Barlow proved beyond the Maer men and it was Sidmouth celebrating at stumps.
You may also want to watch:
Make sure of a copy of the Sidmouth Herald, out next on Friday July 12 for all the match details and comment.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 3 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 4 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 7 Mixed weekend for Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council