Sidmouth Winter League success for Wenham and Lawrence.
- Credit: Archant
It was a bitterly cold week but by Sunday, the weather had begun to warm up, just in time for the next round of the Sidmouth Golf Club Sunday Winter League, writes John Barnard.
It was a good weekend for Lee Wenham as his team had won the turkey trot the day before and on Sunday, he won again, this time playing with Lawrence Hill. The format was fourball better ball, so two man teams, taking the best points score on each hole. They scored an excellent 46 points which would usually win easily but Colin Mitchell and Nick Gingell matched their score so count back was needed.
Lee and Lawrence had 24 points on the back nine including three birdies on holes 13, 16 and 18 whereas Colin and Nick scored 22 points.
They made their scores on the front nine including Colin scoring three points on three consecutive holes by parring the three par 3’s holes 4,5 and 6. One point back in third place were Sean Murphy and Paul Renken.
They birdied holes 17 and 18, but ran out of holes to improve their score.
You may also want to watch:
The previous Sunday, the competition was a three man team, best score to count, medal format.
The winners were Jonathan Lee, Kym White and Paddy Tallon, probably favourites after the draw was made and they played to form.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
- 10 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
An eight under par back nine gave them a score of 54, but countback was needed as Paul Renken, Simon Knowles and Lewis White had the same score. Unfortunately, they only managed seven under on the back nine!
Third were Mark Thomas, Duncan Taylor and Simon Jones with 55.
All this means a new leader in the Sunday Winter League.
Kym White is now firmly in the lead with 17 points.
Four points back in joint second place are Mark Thomas and Nick Gingell.