Sidmouth youngsters begin trail to the All England Club, Wimbledon
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Tennis Club’s 14-and-under HSBC Road To Wimbledon Tournament took place at the club last Sunday, writes Lesley Cranston.
The odd heavy shower not able to dent the enthusiasm of the competitors or spectators.
With 14 young players competing for the title it was a busy day, the matches were tight and everyone fought hard to keep advancing through the draw.
Eventually, after a long day and many closely contested matches the winners were decided.
Well done, to all who competed and in particular to Hannah Rudguard who won the girls draw after a tough two sets play off against Jessie Wiltshire, 4-1, 5-4. Congratulations to Louis Spalding who battled hard in a marathon match coming back from a set down to beat Ollie Truman, 6-7(3), 7-6(5), 10-6. Even at this young age this is already an old rivalry, the boys play each other regularly and both had been on court just the previous day in an Aegon Tournament at Seaton for over five hours. It is a tribute to them both that they were able to push through exhaustion to compete again and produce such quality tennis only 24 hours later.
You may also want to watch:
Hannah and Louis will go on to compete in the County stage of the event in June, the winners will then go forward to compete in the 14U finals on the grass at The All England Club, Wimbledon. We wish them luck in the next stage of the competiton!
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 6 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 7 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 8 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start