Simmons and Wardrop bag three wicket hauls in Sidmouth II win over Plympton II.
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth II continued their domination of the Tolchards Devon League 2nd XI Premier Division, strengthening their grip on top spot with an emphatic seven wicket win at Plympton.
The home side batted first in conditions that suited the bowlers and they were quickly reduced to 7-3 as opening seamer Thomas Simmons claimed each of the first three wickets to fall, once courtesy of a Saju Pitadar catch and twice knocking the stumps over.
Thomas ultimately sent down five overs, two of which were maidens and finished with a splendid return of 3-14. Fellow opener Joe Griffiths claimed the fourth wicket on his way to figures of 1-11 from seven – three of his overs were maidens – and then the bowling duties were passed to Wesley Holmes and his brother Daley.
Wes sent down three overs (0-15) whilst Daley claimed three wickets for eight runs from 6.1 superb overs.
Fionn Wardrop was the fifth bowler used and he wasted no time in joining the wicket taking, claiming three in all to finish with figures of 3-14 from five overs.
You may also want to watch:
Plympton were all out comfortably inside two hours after just 26.1 overs!
Only their number five bat made any impression, scoring 21 with the next best being seven as the home side were bundled out for 63.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 5 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 9 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
Sidmouth’s reply was led by Isaac Thomas and Thomas Moore with Thomas dismissed for six and the run chase on 15. Number three bat Nick Mansfield wa shit by an eight-ball duck to lave the score 18-2 and a third wicket fell on 34 with the loss of Moore for 19.
However, Matt Hewer (19) and Saju Patidar (15) saw Sidmouth to a comfortable success, completed inside 22 overs.
On Saturday the 2nd XI, who now lead the top flight table by 14 points, travel to third bottom Paignton II.