Skills there, goals needed
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Men’s 1st 0 ,
Exeter University Men’s’ D 2
SOHC’s first team came into their match against Exeter University D determined to put the season back on track after a couple of defeats. The home team’s squad of 13 had a familiar look, with Charlie Please again stepping up from the 2nds.
Sidmouth and Ottery started positively putting pressure on the university in the first ten minutes. However, they were unable to convert this into goals, and it was the students who capitalised twice in quick succession with counter attack goals. This took the wind out of the home team’s sails, resulting in some scrappy hockey and poor ball retention by SOHC. The university dominated the rest of the half without threatening with the first half finishing 0-2.
The home team’s response to captain Ian Brown’s half-time team talk was very positive.
You may also want to watch:
They dominated the second half putting pressure on the university side high up the pitch with a series of turn-overs leading to dangerous attacking play.
Indeed, the midfield, including a particularly influential Matthew Ogbourne, were looking fitter and more effective than the generally younger away side.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 5 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 8 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 9 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 10 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
Despite this domination, the home team could not convert a number of good chances and the second half finished goalless.
Next week sees the side travel to Plymouth University for a clash with a team pushing for promotion. SOHC hope to turn in another good performance, but need to reinforce this with some goals and points to ease their relegation concerns.