Skipper see red as Beer Reserves go down to Millwey Rise


- Credit: Archant

After beating Millwey Rise on their own patch a fortnight before, below-strength Beer Albion Reserves suffered a reversal, going down 6-2 to their Axminster-based rivals at the Furzebrake on Saturday, writes Richard Honnor.

Although Rise deserved the three points, the score-line was somewhat flattering as the Fishermen enjoyed some long periods of possession.

However, the Beer defence always looked vulnerable and were caught out time and again on the counter by Millwey’s dangerous forwards.

The visitors started the game brightly, and, as early as the sixth minute, Beer’s young keeper Henry Bartlett took an early blow when making a courageous save at the feet of Millwey’s Shane Featherstone who received a booking for the challenge.

Millwey went ahead in the sixth minute when prolific scorer Levi Hoole who shot home from 18-yards after Beer’s defence gave him too much room.

You may also want to watch:

This spurred the Fishermen into life and, on 14 minutes, they equalised through Joel Seward whose powerful shot was partially blocked by keeper Nathan Hoole, but had sufficient momentum to cross the line.

For the next 30 minutes it was a very even contest with Beer enjoying plenty of possession.

Most Read

They almost went ahead on 32 minutes when Bartlett’s long clearance found Ed Karajev who lobbed the advancing keeper, but his effort went narrowly wide.

But crucially just before half time the Beer defence failed to deal with a high clearance, Bartlett came out of his area in an attempt to head clear, but Levi Hoole won the aerial challenge and his header trickled agonisingly into the net to put his side 2-1 ahead.

Again Bartlett came off worse in the clash of heads, but carried on bravely.

After the break, Beer again allowed Hoole too much room and he notched his hat-trick on 52 minutes to increase the visitors’ lead.

The Fishermen continued to gamble with some good attacking football, with Adam Brewer and Alex Paget working hard through the midfield and striker Joel Seward holding the ball up well and also chasing down lost causes.

On 60 minutes, Beer went close when keeper Hoole mishandled, presenting Alex Paget with a chance, but his header was cleared off the line.

The Millwey glovesman made amends two minutes later with a fine save from Brewer after a good passing move.

In an incident packed game, Beer were reduced to 10 men when skipper Aaron Wain who had been booked earlier, was sent off on 63 minutes after receiving a second yellow for a reckless foul.

Not to be outdone, five minutes later, Millwey captain Featherstone was dismissed after receiving his second booking!

On 66 minutes the Fishermen almost reduced the arrears when Jack White’s strike from the left curled around the visitor’s keeper, but went agonisingly wide. Beer were throwing caution to the wind and after another good move involving White, Seward and Ollie Paget, Alex Paget shot just wide.

Millwey put the game beyond Beer on 75 minutes when the home side gave the ball away and were punished on the break by Jack Farrant who made it 4-1 with a clinical finish.

Beer did reduce the arrears on 86 minutes when their best player on the day Robert Adkin headed home a Jack White cross.

However, as Beer continued to go for broke they were harshly punished by two late goals on the counter, firstly through Nathan Womersley on 88 minutes then by Tyler Allen on 89 minutes to make the score 6-2.

Sponsors Jimmy Green Marine opted for Millwey’s hat-trick man Hoole to receive the Man of the Match award.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus