Smith speeds to another new personal best at Dakota Raceway
- Credit: Archant
East Devon bike ace Mark ‘Wolfie’ Smith has a new personal best after his latest drag racing appearance, writes Steve Birley.
The Otterton-based speedster was in action at Dakota Raceway, Smeatharpe where he clocked 9.38.
Wolfie had felt something special might happen on the day for, in his very first run, he clocked a time of 9.84.
For those unfamiliar with the sport, a first run is known as ‘out of the box’ and it really is quite something to bag a personal best in a first run of the day.
At the latest meeting Wolfie took home trophies for being the fastest in his class and the fastest across the board at another well supported meeting.
You may also want to watch:
Next on the bike ace’s agenda is a first weekend of May meeting at Westonzoyland in Somerset.
The May 6 and 7 two-day meeting is an NSA organised meeting and Wolfie is targeting more personal glory.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 6 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 7 Run for donkeys in the world’s biggest marathon
- 8 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 9 Festival will bring a much-needed boost to the town
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
He says: “I have geared the bike down still further by putting a one tooth bigger sprocket on the back wheel (this brings all the gear ratios closer together to increase the speed options).
“We are constantly looking at ways we can get that bit faster and I have every confidence that I can keep chipping away at my PBs with Westonzoyland the next big opportunity to do just that.”
Wolfie has also received a call up to a big national drag racing meeting.
Something he explained saying: “Skinny Putman – a legend of the sport – has been appointed team captain of the South team to take on a North team in a grudge match being staged at East Kirkby in Lancaster over the weekend of June 16/17.