Soggy Saturday for local footballers
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town were without a game on the third Saturday of January, but once again the weather did its worst to leave only a single game on in the Eastern Division of the South West Peninsula League.
The one game that was played was the game at the Tiger Way home of Axminster Town where there were six goals in a 3-3 draw with Brixham.
Since the turn of the year, across three Saturday match days, just 11 games have been played in the Eastern Division.
It’s been pretty wet for a number of weeks now and, since December 9, just 23 matches have been played with Brixham having played the most times, getting in five matches, while, at the other end of the scale, three teams, Crediton United, Teignmouth and University, have all played just the once!
The full breakdown, heading into the January 27 fixtures, is: Brixham (5); Axminster Town, Budleigh Salterton and Newton Abbot Spurs; Appledore, Galmpton and Roselands, Honiton Town, Ilfracombe Town, Torridgeside and Sidmouth Town (3); Alphington, Bovey Tracey, Liverton and St Martins (2); Crediton, Teignmouth and University (1).
You may also want to watch:
There was no action for Ottery St Mary – indeed, only a handful of matches across the nine divisions of the Macron League beat the weather, with Beer Albion staging the only Premier Division game to be played, one they won 3-1 against Witheridge Reserves.
- 1 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action