Rudolph stars as SOHC men’s 1st XI return to winning ways
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) bounced back from their previous Southern One outing defeat to Okehampton by seeing off third in the table Tavistock, winning the game 4-2.
Poor availability throughout the club meant that the 1st XI travelled for the game with a bare 11, but, when they arrived for the fixture, they found Tavistock had similar availability woes for they were only able to field 10!
SOHC made a good positive start and a reverse stick effort from Jack Ellison, to finish off a slick move, gave them an early lead. The advantage was soon doubled thanks to a terrific penalty corner strike from Jonathan Hext.
The SOHC pressure continued and, when the home goalkeeper was penalised for ‘sitting on the ball’, Jack Ellison made it 3-0 from a penalty flick.
Tavistock hit back with a clinical finish, but a well-worked short corner routine saw Chris Bishop score to send SOHC into the break with a 4-1 lead.
You may also want to watch:
For the first 20 minutes of the second half the game was well managed by SOHC. The home side, with nothing to lose, threw caution to the wind over the final quarter of the contest, pressing high up the pitch and their efforts were rewarded with a second goal.
Thereafter, what was a makeshift SOHC back line closed the game out well to leave their team deserved winners and still very much in what now looks to be a two-team race for the divisional top honour.
- 1 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 2 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 3 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 4 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 5 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 6 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 7 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 8 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 9 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 10 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
Eddie Rudolph was named Man of the Match for his terrific shift at centre back.