SOHC ladies’ 2nds launch new league term with home defeat
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) are back in action for another season, writes Lizzie Nancekivell.
The newly promoted ladies’ IIs began life in a higher division with a 4-1 defeat at home to a Yeovil and Sherborne side that finished third in the league last season.
In a classic encounter of ‘two very different halves’, it was the away side who enjoyed the better of the first half, pressing SOHC back and making the home side defend for long periods, scoring three unanswered goals in the process. Despite the goals, the home defence was impressive and it was far from one-way traffic, for SOHC fashioned a number of chances, none of which they were able to take, but they did learn a harsh lesson that, at the higher level, taking chances when presented is a must!
However, the second half produced a very different story! SOHC came out with a higher tempo to their game. There were some determined runs into the D and some narrow misses by Frankie ‘Brucie’ Forsyth, Frankie Elliott, Diana Dormer and Evie Wilson which saw Yeovil on the back foot.
There was also a stoic performance in defence by ‘Player of the Match’ Charlotte Brodie and the back five, who, along with the midfield section, worked tirelessly, creating further great opportunities that did ultimately bring the goal the collective play deserved when Hannah Dale marked an impressive debut game with a goal.
You may also want to watch:
Without doubt, SOHC looked a very different proposition throughout the second period and it left them coming out of the game with plenty of positives to work on.
- 1 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 4 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 5 SRC mighty six take on Sid Valley Ring half-marathon
- 6 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 7 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 8 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Sidmouth Girls Rugby