SOHC ladies edged out by Taunton Vale
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery (SOHC) ladies’ were beaten 3-1 by Taunton Vale II at a sun-kissed Sidmouth.
The game was close and certainly nothing like the first encounter this season in Taunton when the Somerset side won 8-2!
SOHC started with high tempo and their early endeavours carried a real threat to the visitors with Maisie Pritchard and Sara Roberts making in roads down the middle of the pitch. Then Taunton defence soaked up the pressure and, in a counter-attack, the Somerset side edged ahead from a penalty corner.
The home side responded well and parity was swiftly restored with another penalty corner. Grace Johnson’s strike was saved, but only parried and Maisie Pritchard gathered the ball before calmly slotting past the goalkeeper.
Taunton came back strongly, but found SOHC goalkeeper Hayley Delasalle once again in terrific form and her speed of thought - and foot - kept the visitors at bay until, in one slick move, Taunton restored their lead.
You may also want to watch:
The SOHC response was just as it had been when they’d fallen behind earlier and, some terrific attacking play involving Sam Parkyn, Jess Oliver and Katie Jackson, opened up the Taunton defence, but no goals were forthcoming.
The award of a penalty corner offered SOHC an opportunity to draw level once more, but unfortunately Emily Ackland’s strike was deemed to be too high when crossing the line and so the ‘goal’ was chalked off.
- 1 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 9 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 10 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
It was in the final minute that the visitors tucked away another penalty corner to consign the home side to a defeat that their performance really did not warrant.
In a fine all-round performance it was the shift from Maisie Pritchard that landed her the Chick of the Day award.
This Saturday (March 21) the team travel to Firebrands III (11.30am).
New members are always welcome at the club and, to find out more about the club, what they have to offer, and how to join, visit www.sidmouthandotteryhc.co.uk