SOHC ladies play with ten and slip to defeat at Redlands UWE
With ten players missing from the clubs two senior ladies’ teams a visit to Redlands UWE was always going to provide a big challenge to Sidmouth and Ottery and they ultimately slipped to a 3-0 defeat.
Unfortunately illness reduced the team to 10 on Saturday morning and despite their best efforts the team could find no replacement.
The beginning of the match found Sidmouth and Ottery put immediately under pressure with the defence having to cope with the extra player Redlands had to their advantage. Redlands capitalised on this with a rebounded shot that saw a reverse stick sweep lift the ball over goalie Hayley Delasalle. Sid managed to keep the goals out for the rest of the second half with Lucy Covell and man of the match for the second week running Grace Johnson dominating the right hand side of the SOHC defence.
After a strong team talk by Chloe Munn at half-time SOHC managed to produce more chances in the second half. However, a second goal for Redlands came from a short corner that saw the ball slipped past the defender on the line. Sid retaliated with some strong plays of their own, with the defence and midfield working the ball further up the pitch to attackers Karen Dutton and Sam Parkyn who caused the Redlands defence to make some crucial tackles.
The third goal for Redlands came after the ball was cleared off the line by defender Maisie Pritchard but deflected back to a player at the top of the D who calmly flicked the ball into the top right hand corner of the goal, just skimming a defenders stick. Goalie Hayley Delasalle prevented the score from being added to throughout the game with multiple signature diving saves.
You may also want to watch:
This weekend the team take on Okehampton in the first round of the Devon Cup at Sidmouth.
- 1 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 2 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 5 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 6 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 7 Talking Newspapers set to restart service
- 8 When it comes to our beach, its about taking responsibility for what we do
- 9 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 10 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford