SOHC ladies suffer cup final heartache at Okehampton
- Credit: Archant
Plym Valley 4, SOHC 1 Sidmouth and Ottery ladies’ were beaten in the Devon Final after a titanic effort.
The team prepared well with a midweek training session and, to add to the occasion the team travelled by coach to Okehampton and arrived in buoyant mood.
SOHC made a bright start, but so to did Plym Valley. Indeed their high-tempo approach surprised the SOHC team to such an extent that it took a while before the East Devon side had settled into their usual rhythm.
Two early goals from Ply Valley gave SOHC a mountain to climb.
Coach McVey made some tactical changes and the passing game that SOHC are so capable of finally came to the fore. They made good progress, particularly down the left with Lucy Broad, Nicky Bishop and Sophie Jackson linking up well to put pressure on the Plym Valley deference. A third goal just before the break left SOHC with plenty to do in the second half.
You may also want to watch:
During the break McVey issued some rallying words and skipper Lea Pidgeon and her side went into the second period in determined mood.
Before long the slicker approach led to a goal and a perfect short corner injected by Broad found Pidgeon who got in a strike on goal. This was saved by the keeper, but the quick reactions from Nicky Bishop were too much for the Plym Valley keeper and suddenly SOHC were back in the game!
- 1 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 4 Road works start to enhance access to Exeter and East Devon Enterprise Zone
- 5 Dragon Patchers will continue to keep Devon's potholes filled
- 6 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 7 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
- 8 Ottery St Mary sadly lose a club legend
- 9 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 10 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
Now under pressure the Plym Valley players began to look to run the clock down which frustrated SOHC’s bid to bag a second and close the gap further. A late fourth on the break sealed the issue leaving SOHC to settle for the runners-up medals.
The team celebrated their runners up trophy in entertaining ‘farmer style’ for Nicky Bishop’s surprise pre-wedding celebrations!
The team would like to place on record their sincere thanks to coach McVey for all his support to the team throughout the course of the season.
So that’s it for another campaign, all, that remains is to commend the team; Hayley Delasalle, Jess Allen , Jodie Parsons, Ellie Marok, Maisie Pritchard, Lucy Broad, Sara Roberts, Nicky Bishop, Chrissie Jacobs, Lea Pidgeon and Sophie Jackson who have given their all to see the team to third place in the league and a cup final outing to boot!