SOHC ladies suffer injury blow as hosts Taunton are beaten on their own patch.
- Credit: Archant
Taunton 0, SOHC 3 Sidmouth and Ottery Ladies 1st X1 continued their winning streak with another convincing away triumph, writes Nicky Bishop.
The team travelled to Somerset with 12 players on duty, but a pre-match injury reduced them to a bare eleven for the match.
The unfortunate Maisie Pritchard suffered a knee injury that resulted in a doctor playing in the home team, sending her off to accident and emergency where she was found to have suffered a torn cartilage and badly sprained ligaments! Now the battle is on for Pritchard to regain fitness and take her place in the team for the Devon Cup final!
Despite the obvious disappointment of the Pritchard injury SOHC made a bright start to the contest with Pidgeon, Marok and Jacobs linking well during the early exchanges. Playing with the bright sunshine in their eyes, SOHC continued to press and Jackson made an impressive run down the left on her reverse. She crossed to Pidgeon who in turn slipped to Jacobs who applied the coolest of finishes, pulling the ball across the keeper and into the far corner of the net.
SOHC refused to let complacency edge into their game and they continued to press the ball and work hard as a unit moving the ball up the pitch with short sharp passes. Their enterprising play again paid dividends when Bishop and Pidgeon linked well at the top of the D from where Bishop lifted the ball over the keeper and despite the gloves man getting a touch, the ball ended in the back of the net to send SOHC into the break two goals to the good.
You may also want to watch:
During the break SOHVC were urged to maintain the high tempo of their game keeping possession, but also look to stay on the front foot and add further goals.
They did just that and twice they came within a whisker of scoring only for the ball to be trapped beneath a diving keeper. The ball did find the backboard once more following some great stick work from Pidgeon who powered the ball past the keeper to make it 3-0.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 5 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 6 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 7 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 8 Demand for properties in Sidmouth is high as South West becomes more desirable
- 9 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
Taunton had a few short corners in the latter stages, but the SOHC defence dealt with these at ease; Roberts making some great tackles at the top of the D. The SOHC Player of the Match award was given to Jess Allen for her splendid shift that saw her serve up consistently solid tackles in the defence.