SOHC ladies sunk on smurf turf
Sidmouth and Ottery ladies first team went down 7-2 at home to Taunton Vale 2nds, writes Annabelle Clay
The match was played on a recently laid new artificial surface which, with its blue colour, swiftly landed the title ‘smurf turf’!
The opening exchanges suggested little of what was to come as both sides traded attacking moves and SOHC opened the scoring with a finely struck goal from Karen Dutton.
The Somerset side replied in clinical fashion quickly levelling and then going on to score three more to lead 4-1 at the interval.
After the break the Taunton Vale dominance continued and, despite some fantastic saves by goalkeeper Haley Delasalle, SOHC shipped three more goals.
You may also want to watch:
A fine wing raid led by Katie Jackson ended with a cross that found Frankie Elliot who demonstrated great skill with a slick finish to net a second for the visitors.
Angharad Price Hughes, Katie Ackland and Ellie Marrok had fine games as the midfield trio and Chick of the Week was won by the hard-working Emily Ackland.
- 1 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 2 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 3 Plans for restart of operations for Sidmouth Voluntary Services
- 4 General Buller's statue in Exeter stay or go?
- 5 College launches two new fundraising appeals
- 6 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 7 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 8 Sidmouth Girls Rugby
- 9 High Street beckons for hobbyists emerging from lockdown
- 10 Young gardeners enjoy seeing the early fruits of their labour
The ladies are in home action at Ottery St Mary on Saturday with the visit of Firebrands 3rds (12.30pm).
If you are interested in playing for the club or would like to support them feel free to get along to the Colin Tooze Sports Centre where you will be warmly received.