SOHC men’s 4th XI battle away with a bare XI on their way to defeat at Culm Vale
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) men’s fourth team travelled to Exeter to take on Exeter and Culm Vale Hornets, writes Andrew Coley.
With only 10 players available, it was likely to be a challenge to compete against a well-organised ECVH B team.
The home side came away with a 6-1 win, but SOHC played well, although the result leaves them near the bottom of South East Two.
It was a valiant effort by the 10 men of SOHC after captain Dan Weedon had two players withdraw from the side on Saturday morning, having only had 11 to start with.
He managed to drum up one more player and the 10-man team passed the ball well and applied pressure at times, but ECVH scored regularly in both halves.
You may also want to watch:
SOHC did give themselves a chance when Richard Lucas levelled the scores at 1-1 but ECVH quickly responded and controlled much of the game after that.
Although the fourths occupy a space near the bottom of the division, the spirit in the side is always positive and it's great to see the youngsters performing well against the more experienced players.
- 1 Husband and wife team take over at White & Son Shoes
- 2 Headteacher pays tribute to small school with a huge heart
- 3 New women’s team created at Sidmouth Rugby Club
- 4 Latest news and results from Sidmouth Bowls
- 5 Walkers get ready to step out in the twilight for Hospiscare
- 6 Family trip to seaside ends in dramatic rescue from rip tide
- 7 Sidmouth's Hero of Manipur's Victoria Cross to be auctioned
- 8 Men replicating ladies at Ottery Bowls Club
- 9 Property of the Week: Trinity Court, Sidmouth
- 10 Plans to pedestrianise Sidmouth town centre put forward
Tomorrow (Saturday) sees the halfway stage of the South East Two campaign reached.
The final game for the SOHC men's 4th XI before the festive break sees them in home action against a Chard B side that sit eighth in the table, four places and 11 points above them.