SOHC still well clear in Southern Two with seven games to go.
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth and Ottery Hockey Club (SOHC) men’s 1st XI were 2-1 winners in their latest Southern Two game, an away fixture at Camborne SoM.
What made the success all the more impressive was that it came after the team had endured a two-hour car journey in poor weather and journeyed to the Duchy with a patched together side following some pretty poor availability from some regular first eleven players!
A two goal half-time lead was no more than SOHC deserved and, although the home team came back strongly in the second half, SOHC continued to fashion chances with Nick Mansfield orchestrating things with some quick breaks.
It was some outstanding goalkeeping from the ever-reliable Simon Baker that ensured the only goal that the team shipped after the break was a ‘scrappy’ one and thereafter SOHC closed the game out well, though a later super save from Baker made sure of the points.
With second-placed PGSOB A also winning, it means no change at the top and the SOHC lead remains eight points with now just seven matches remaining.
You may also want to watch:
Next up for the title chasers is Saturday’s game at Sidmouth against Plymouth Marjon C, who also won last weekend – in their case they defeated Caradon 2-1.
When SOHC travelled to Plymouth to meet the students back in October, they won 5-0 and they also continue to sport a season-long unbeaten home record.
- 1 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 2 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 3 First time in a year for Sidmouth's rugby youngsters
- 4 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 5 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 6 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 7 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 8 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 9 Now is the time to shop locally says Sidmouth artist
- 10 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
Kick-off at Sidmouth is at noon.