Sound bowling and batting
A SOUND bowling and fielding display against Chudleigh set up Sidmouth 3rd XI for their fourth win of the season but they are consigned to the 2nd XI B Division of the Francis Clark Devon League.
After restricting Chudleigh to 103, an opening stand of 55 between Mike Dibble and Declan Lines set the home side on their way.
It was not all plain sailing after these two were dismissed in the space of two runs, but some big blows by Tom Chaplin, including a six over the pavilion, meant the tail was not exposed and a five-wicket win was completed.
Sidmouth might have expected to be chasing a smaller total after having the visitors at 27-5 as Chaplin and Isaac Thomas benefited from the safe hands of Joe Griffiths, twice, and Dominic Bess. Chaplin took a simple caught and bowled with his third delivery and clean bowled the third victim of his 10-over opening spell.
He returned to end the innings after Charlie Dibble and Dominic Bess had kept chipping wickets away with their off-spin.
You may also want to watch:
Chudleigh were dismissed in 38 overs, passing eight of their entitlement to Sidmouth who began their reply cautiously with eight on the board after 10 overs.
Two boundaries in three balls by Lines got the scoreboard ticking along until Mike Dibble was first man out, for 32, at 55.
- 1 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 2 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 3 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 4 Sea Fest organisers remain optimistic for festival's return in 2022
- 5 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 6 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 7 The boyhood of Ottery's famous poet - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
- 8 Property of the Week: Priory House, Ottery St Mary
- 9 Anglers travelling further for fishing delights
- 10 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
Lines followed for 23 one run later. Like many of the Chudleigh batsmen before them, they got themselves out through bad shots to poor balls.
After Tom Overthrow, Bess and Charlie Dibble had departed cheaply, Anthony Dibble and Chaplin saw Sidmouth home to 18 points.
Tomorrow the 3rd XI finish their season at Sandford.