St Johns so close to being County Champions
- Credit: Archant
St John’s School played in the finals of the Devon Futsal U16s last week, writes, Louise Mayor.
They came second at the end of a very competitive competition.
It was an amazing effort by the school team who have come up; against some big schools across the region in the competition.
St Johns travelled to Paignton for the Devon Schools U16 Futsal Finals as East Devon Schools’ champions, having won the county qualifier back in November for the second year running.
At the finals they first met St Peter’s, Exeter, who had handed out a 9-0 beating to the boys the previous year! This time round it was all very different as evenly contested match ended in a 1-1 draw. In the second game the opponents were the eventual champions, Torquay Boys Academy. With five minutes remaining St John’s were 2-1 up. However, Torquay levelled and then won it with the last kick of the match.
You may also want to watch:
The third group game saw them emphatically despatch Holsworthy 5-1, playing some great one-touch counter-attacking Futsal.
Next up they were even more convincing winners as they beat Lipson, the Plymouth Schools’ champions, 6-2.
- 1 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 2 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 3 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 4 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
- 5 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 6 12 countries announced on travel green list from May 17
- 7 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
The final game against South Dartmoor School was for second place and St Johns once again did not disappoint as they dished out a 4-1 hiding to bag that coveted second spot.
It was a great day and the boys succeeded in not only doing St John’s School proud, but the whole of East Devon at the same time!