Steeling the show with conger
Andy Steel lands 27lb conger eel in Swan championships
Friday saw the annual Swan Inn deep-sea fishing challenge, with two boats sailing from Beer.
The weather was glorious, if not a little too warm, for fishing. Regulars at the Swan Inn took part, the aim to catch the best specimen fish.
The two vessels steamed out for around four miles and the competition commenced, albeit with a slow start, to land fish. After eight hour’s fishing, various specimens had been landed and the competitors returned to the Swan Inn, Sidmouth, for prize-giving and the presentation of the coveted Best Specimen Cup.
The winner was Craig White with a beautiful Cuckoo Wrasse of 1lb 6oz and the runner up was young Guy Bennett with a near specimen Pout Whiting.
You may also want to watch:
The heaviest fish went to Andy Steel with a 27lb conger eel and the wooden spoon award went to Stuart Hammond for running away from Andy’s conger when brought into the boat!
A sandwich buffet followed the presentations and a great evening was enjoyed by all.
- 1 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 2 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 3 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 4 Hopes high that half marathon will be an annual event
- 5 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 6 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 7 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 8 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 9 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival
Special thanks go to Adrian and Jules, the landlords of the Swan Inn, for hosting the event and to Kim White for organising this annual challenge.