Steeling the show with conger
Andy Steel lands 27lb conger eel in Swan championships
Friday saw the annual Swan Inn deep-sea fishing challenge, with two boats sailing from Beer.
The weather was glorious, if not a little too warm, for fishing. Regulars at the Swan Inn took part, the aim to catch the best specimen fish.
The two vessels steamed out for around four miles and the competition commenced, albeit with a slow start, to land fish. After eight hour’s fishing, various specimens had been landed and the competitors returned to the Swan Inn, Sidmouth, for prize-giving and the presentation of the coveted Best Specimen Cup.
The winner was Craig White with a beautiful Cuckoo Wrasse of 1lb 6oz and the runner up was young Guy Bennett with a near specimen Pout Whiting.
You may also want to watch:
The heaviest fish went to Andy Steel with a 27lb conger eel and the wooden spoon award went to Stuart Hammond for running away from Andy’s conger when brought into the boat!
A sandwich buffet followed the presentations and a great evening was enjoyed by all.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 7 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Mighty Greens conquer Plym Trail marathon
Special thanks go to Adrian and Jules, the landlords of the Swan Inn, for hosting the event and to Kim White for organising this annual challenge.