Storm-force Sidmouth too hot for Taunton School
Sidmouth 41, Taunton School 17 Sidmouth Under-15s made light of a very blustery day and chalked up a richly deserved success against formidable looking opposition, writes Chris Robinson.
It was Taunton’s size that got them into a kickable penalty early on. However, Sidmouth quickly learned to move the opposition’s sizeable pack around the pitch and use the speed of their backs to create the holes.
First up, the irrepressible Lao scored. His electric speed has been amply rewarded this season. Hill then made a dash from the number-eight berth which led to quick recycling of the ball which was passed out to Kennaugh who powered over. Hill was then the beneficiary of quick ball and he too scored. Taunton replied with a score under the posts, but Lao scored the last try of the half.
In what were very difficult conditions for the kickers Allen was only able to convert one of the tries.
In the second half Taunton started well and too their total to within five points of the Sidmouth tally.
You may also want to watch:
However, Sidmouth stepped up a gear and Down, who is having an excellent season, scored.
From the restart, captain for the day Chugg-White, caught the ball and began a move that led to Brian scoring in the corner.
- 1 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 2 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 3 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 4 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 5 Football in support of mental health
- 6 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 7 Ottery St Mary Silver Band 'Centenary+1' fundraiser launched
- 8 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 9 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start
- 10 East Devon author launches satirical book
The final try was creatively crafted; Innes-Kruger’s clever kick ahead was easily won by Lao who crossed to complete yet another hat-trick!
Allen landed the conversion and the scoring was completed as Sidmouth, now working as a team, prepare for further matches in a very confident frame of mind.