Stoyle makes impressive start to new season as Sidbury are edged out by Kenn
- Credit: Archant
After a long winter, a welcome return to the cricket season and what better place to be than the Millfield at Sidbury, a fantastic setting, writes Simon Rowe.
Sidbury CC shook off the cobwebs to take on Kenn in the first of a full fixture list of matches for the 2013 season.
After winning the toss the visitors opted to bat and got over the early loss of a wicket to take the game to the hosts with a flurry of attacking shots.
They were pinned back with some tight bowling by James Pearce and Martin (Windy) Miller.
On an slow wicket the batsmen began to fall at regular intervals. A great spell from Steve Crick helped to remove the middle order and supported with enthusiastic fielding restricted a very capable Kenn side to a close of 112.
You may also want to watch:
The Sidbury innings got a superb start thanks to a fine knock from Mark Stoyle, but some accurate bowling pegged the hosts back and put the visitors into the driving seat.
However, a huge rear guard effort led by the wagging Sidbury tail; there were gritty contributions from Jez Wyant and James Pearce with the bat, mean the game went the distance before Kenn claimed a narrow victory.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 5 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 6 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 7 Plenty of case work picked up on campaign trail, but I'm happy to help
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 New team on frontline for mental health care and support
- 10 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
Sidbury are a very friendly club and are always delighted to welcome new people be that to play, umpire, score or help maintain the picturesque ground.
For more information on all things Sidbury CC contact Simon.firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website www.sidbury.org.uk where there are also details on the full fixture list for this season.