‘Summer’ takes its toll
The 'summer' weather has taken its toll this week at Lyme Regis, writes Paul Moffitt.
The ladies’ county game was cancelled, several of the Percy Baker league games were abandoned half-way through and a club friendly on Sunday was also washed out. This on a week when all the men's league teams were rested but had to compete in the second round of the County Cup. The ladies were also involved in their next round of 'Top Club' competition.
The men managed to win by a margin of 11 shots against Alexandra Park, winning on three of the four rinks, this will pit them against Wimborne in the next round.
The ladies travelled to Poole Park for their Top Club encounter, being unlucky to be pushed onto two end rinks on two separate greens.The greens proved to be tricky and Lyme won only one of the four disciplines.
The pairing of Jan Parsons and Chris Barber were unlucky to go down on their last end, dropping an uncharacteristic four shots. Anne Allman's fours were the only success story, even more pleasing when you consider the Poole Park rink was skipped by England international Julie Saunders.
You may also want to watch:
Just two friendlies this week, one big event against Shelley Park who brought a coachload of supporters as well as the players. A big thank you to the catering team who worked exceptionally hard to feed them all.
- 1 Former Ottery science technician celebrates her seventieth year
- 2 Different species of deer are part of our wildlife inheritance
- 3 'Battered and shattered' traders start to reopen their shops
- 4 Folk festival boosted by £97K grant from Culture Recovery Fund
- 5 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 6 Stepping out for charity in honour of Sir Captain Tom's legacy
- 7 Sidmouth Youth Centre on a mission to help feed families
- 8 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 9 Summer play season returns safe and sound after 'challenging year'
- 10 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
Lyme 110, Shelley Park 94: P Ward, G Broom, J Moseley, K Clissold 14-10; J Beavis, C Clissold, T Poyner, R Edwards 21-11; K Faragher, B Downes, D Courtenay-Smith, R Winterborne 19-14; I Forster, A Brown, N Solomon, G Cozens 27-12; Y Moody, M Bartlett, B Stephens, R Moody 8-31; D Read, T Payne, J Moffitt, D Wood 21-16.
Lyme 92, South Petherton 141: Doris Read, T Payne, N Solomon, R Edwards 8-24; Y Moody, Dave Read, R Moody, B Parsons 21-18; P Stephens, K Gardiner, D Courtenay-Smith, E Skeemer 25-11; P Cole, G Clode, N Benson, G Cozens 18-19; K Faragher, S Wood, A Preece, Chas Barber 7-36; P Ward, P Knight, D Wood, J Beadsley 13-27.