Sun rises on new season of umbrella competitions
During the Christmas break, there were a few roll ups and the Foxlands teams had a practice. New Year’s Day saw the first Sunrise Umbrella of the New Year with bowling sessions during the morning and the afternoon, write Sue and Peter Mison.
All players met for an excellent lunch provided by Ronnie and Sylvia Cook, consisting of champagne, a chip butty and caviar, followed by a delicious Christmas cake made by Ronnie, accompanied by a slice of Wensleydale cheese which is a Yorkshire custom.
Not sure what standard of bowling was reached during the afternoon but all thoroughly enjoyed themselves.
On Tuesday, Honiton Ladies brought three rinks over to play a friendly match.
This is always closely contested, but on this occasion Honiton won by two rinks to one and by 64 -47.
You may also want to watch:
Well done to Sidmouth’s winning rink of Sheila Ingyon, Paddy Wrench, Chris Hamer and Jill Bishop who won by 22-18.
- 1 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 2 Sidmouth’s ‘overwhelming’ support for Wear a Hat fundraiser
- 3 Prince Philip's legacy is guaranteed through awards scheme
- 4 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman
- 5 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 6 There will be sunshine after the rain as the town re-opens
- 7 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 8 Dreams and nightmares at the Grand National
- 9 Grab your chance to win a new TV from Fords South West Ltd
- 10 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member