Sweet success for Sidmouth mixed tennis teams
- Credit: Archant
First it was the inaugural, Covid league, matches for the Ladies’ teams followed by the Men’s and then, finally, the genders joined forces to compete in their first home, Mixed team matches, writes Vici Topping.
The format for the Winter in the East Devon (mixed) League follows the same Covid adjustments as for Exeter and District (Men’s and Ladies’) with no promotion or relegation at stake.
However, the first matches for both Mixed A and B were hotly contested affairs with both Sidmouth squads coming out on top.
First up, with Storm Alex brewing in the background, was Mixed A, captained by the experienced Debbie Snelgrove.
Playing in Division Two, they faced local opposition, Tipton St John, who in spite of some closely fought rallies and games were unable to counter the youthful talent of Greg Shipp and Jed Ionov-Flint both of whose nifty footwork around the net, proved decisive.
You may also want to watch:
The result, a comfortable 6-2 victory for the home side.
Another local derby was in store when Sidmouth Mixed B, playing in Division Five and captained by Sharon O’Brien, welcomed Newton Poppleford to Fortfield Terrace.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Fundraising heroine Diana is sitting pretty at 98
- 5 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 6 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 7 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 8 Art shop thanks customers who have shown support
- 9 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 10 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
A crisp, Autumnal evening saw the home side players of Christine Allison, Rebecca Pritchard, Marius Casapu, Richard Houghton Brown sweep to a convincing 8-2 victory.
The powerful forehand and serve of Casapu, the sliced back hand of newcomer, Pritchard along with the net play of Allison and Houghton Brown proved, indeed, to be a winning formula! Well done, all, and here’s hoping for continued success for all teams this winter.