Sweetland nets victory off Branscombe beach
- Credit: Archant
Eleven members of the Beer and District Sea Angling Association fished the month’s shore competition off Branscombe.
There as a very fresh North Westerly win blowing, but the sea was flat and this made for testing conditions throughout.
It proved to be a hard nights’ fish with May water covering all lines and plenty of hooks being snipped by spider crabs!
Amongst the species that were landed were plaice, smoothhound, dogfish and pout.
The hounds were coming to hermit/peeler crab and a few good bites were missed!
You may also want to watch:
At the conclusion of the event it was Chris Sweetland who bagged first place with 259.69 points.
Second place went to Dave Graham with 224.77 points and in third was Luke Bartlett with 186.88 points.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 3 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 4 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 5 East Devon author launches satirical book
- 6 Sad loss at Beer Albion
- 7 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 8 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Sid Valley Practice appeals for help during vaccine rollout
Sweetland also landed the best fish of the night, a 2lb 6.5oz plaice.
First place in the junior section in his first club competition went to Archie Sweetland with a score of 86.25pts.