Swingler at the double as Ottery win at Otterton
- Credit: Archant
Ottery St Mary were 3-1 winners in their Macron League Division Three derby match at Otterton.
The Otters, who had lost all three previous derby outings this season – losing home and away to Tipton and going down 2-1 to Otterton in the game played at Ottery earlier in the season - scored twice in the first half with Connor Swingler netting both. The two goal half-time lead was no more than the Otters deserved for an impressive all-round show.
Straight from the re-start Otterton halved the deficit, but Ottery remained disciplined, organised and inventive going forward and sealed the points with a late third scored by Corey Ringer. That was the second goal in as many starts for the Ottery hit man, who had gone eight games without a goal before netting the winners seven days before in the home win over Clyst Valley.
Otters boss Dave Fairweather said: “We played very well and fully deserved the three points. If anything I felt we ought to have won by a greater margin. We could, possibly should, have scored many more.”
The Ottery boss added: “Lets give bags of credit to them [Otterton] for getting the game on. That said conditions were so heavy, they almost bordered on the ridiculous!”
You may also want to watch:
Ottery skipper Curtis Winchombe was named Man of the Match for his superb shift. The win makes it five on the trot for the Otters, and a seventh win of the Macron League Division Three season, and they are up to sixth and are now just six points shy of a top four slot.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 5 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
- 6 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 7 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Stalker jailed and banned from Ottery St Mary
- 10 Sidmouth vaccinations are off to a good start