Teenagers guide Sidmouth CC 3rds to draw
Sidmouth were extremely grateful for a mature innings from 15-year-old Robbie Powell to guide them to a draw against Plymouth 3rd XI at Bicton College last Saturday
Sidmouth were extremely grateful for a mature innings from 15-year-old Robbie Powell to guide them to a draw against Plymouth 3rd XI at Bicton College last Saturday.
Powell, and fellow under-15 player Greg Chaplin, batted superbly during an unbeaten 10th wicket partnership of 17 at the end of a tense game which was rain affected. It was reduced to 46 overs per side as rain fell midway through the Plymouth innings.
Sidmouth had asked Plymouth to bat after winning the toss and at 15 for 3 this looked a good decision. Unfortunately, dropped catches and a missed run- out were to cost Sidmouth dear, but a total of 155 should have been well within the team's grasp.
However, a catalogue of poor shots made the task extremely difficult and, in the end, the team were grateful to hold out for a draw.
You may also want to watch:
The match had started well for Sidmouth, with Paris Pinney and Greg Chaplin soon amongst the wickets.
However, a fourth wicket partnership of 82 was decisive as a total of 155 all out was eventually posted by Plymouth.
- 1 The master sportsman: Norman Borrett
- 2 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 3 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 4 Seven points about Devon and Cornwall policing for G7 leaders
- 5 Youngsters invited to join in Fairtrade Fortnight competition
- 6 Sidmouth's home-grown cricket star Dom Bess in England's win again Sri Lanka
- 7 Lockdown #3 challenges for the Sidmouth runners
- 8 'Let’s get out of the stranglehold this killer virus has had on our lives' by staying home
- 9 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 10 Praise to community for helping college with online learning during lockdown
Pinney finished with 4 for 43, Chaplin took 3 for 28 and Charlie Miles was the other wicket-taker, taking 2 for 34. Both Fionn Wardrop and Tom Chaplin were unlucky to finish with nothing in the wickets column. A suicidal run out off the last ball gifted Sidmouth their fifth batting point.
For Sidmouth, Mike Dibble was caught at mid wicket for 17, Tom Bowring was adjudged lbw for 6, Wardrop was caught at square leg for 19, William Sobczak was bowled for 1, Sean Priestley was bowled for 27, Graham Bess was caught behind for 23, Pinney was caught at mid off for 2, Miles was caught at mid on for 9 and Tom Chaplin skied a catch to mid on for 3. Powell finished not out on 23 and Greg Chaplin was not out 7.
l This Saturday the 3rd XI travel to bottom of the table Shobrooke Park and will be looking for a substantial points total to haul themselves up the table.
l Plymouth 155 (A Hill 44, P Mawalage 34no, J Varcoe 31; P Pinney 4-43, G Chaplin 3-28, C Miles 2-34), Sidmouth 143-9 (S Priestley 27, G Bess 23, R Powell 23no; R Gill 2-44, P Mawalage 2-29, A Hill 2-38, J Barlow 2-17). Plymouth (13pts) drew with Sidmouth (9pts).