Teenagers Miller and Ogley make impressive Sidmouth Town debuts
- Credit: Archant
Sidmouth Town were unfortunate not to complete a piece of giant killing when they went out of the Walter C Parson Cup , beaten 3-1 at Premier Division high fliers Cullompton Rangers.
Top scorer Mark Pavey and skipper Josh French were back in action and there were first team squad debuts for 16-year-old Joe Miller and former Under-16 captain Matt Ogley.
The home side bossed much of the first half during which time some terrific goal keeping from Charlie Ledger and excellent centre back work from the pairing of Mike Pidgeon and Matt Colson kept the home side out.
Town had a glorious chance to open the scoring in the 25th minute when, with the home side holding a high line, a through ball from French sent Pavey clear, but the home glovesman came out on top in a one-versus-one situation with Pavey dragging his shot wide.
After the break Cully again began powerfully, but got little change out of the impressive Vikings back line of Cox, Colson, Pidgeon and Dixon.
You may also want to watch:
Town soaked up the pressure and, on the hour mark, Pavey received the ball 25-yards from goal, looked up to see the keeper off his line and executed a perfect lobbed shot to give his side the lead!
It was not until 15 minutes from time that parity was restored with the ball being bundled home from close range. That gave Cully the spark they needed and five minutes later they were ahead.
- 1 Donkeys look forward to welcoming families back
- 2 Stephen's not afraid to get hands-on to keep business moving forward
- 3 Arboreturm volunteers make final plans for eventful tree week
- 4 Two Sidmouth gardens set to open to the public this bank holiday
- 5 Beer Albion celebrate football pitch funding success
- 6 Joma Devon and Exeter League results and fixtures
- 7 Double golfing success for the Sidmouth seniors
- 8 Here come the Red Arrows! Things are looking up for town
- 9 Ottery Brownie leader set to run London Marathon
- 10 Property of the Week: Glebelands
In the 80th minute youngsters Ogley and Miller got their moments when they stepped into 1st team action for the first time replacing the injured French and right back Dixon respectively.
The teenagers made an immediate impact causing the hosts some anxious moments with their intelligent play. Cullompton got their third goal right on full-time through Fanson as Sidmouth were pushing for the equaliser.
Sidmouth team: Ledger, Dixon, Colson, Pidgeon, Cox, Barker, French, Thompson, Pavey, Howard Used Subs: Ogley and Miller.
Special mention goes to Matt Ogley and Joe Miller, their contribution on and off the pitch was superb - great attitudes, a major positive for the club.
Star Man: Andrew Thompson