Tetts at the double
Colaton Raleigh FC 3 , Winkleigh FC 2
Two stunning goals from Matthew Tett, and one from his brother Mark, were enough to keep Colaton Raleigh on the winning trail, but Riki Pitter’s men were left to cling on for the points, writes Ken Woodsford.
A two week break saw Raleigh strangely lethargic early on, and barely a chance was created until the 20th minute when Mark Tett fired in a low drive which was spilled in to the net by the Winkleigh keeper.
With Colaton Raleigh enjoying a good spell, Matthew Tett received the ball on the halfway line, and shot from 45 yards, still rising as it flew between the angle of post and crossbar.
You may also want to watch:
Winkleigh were still battling and a breakaway goal after 39 minutes saw them reduce the lead to a half time score of 2-1.
The second half saw debutant keeper Dec Lines, 16, make a spectacular finger tip save and it needed another piece of individual skill to keep Raleigh's nose in front. Matt Tett burst out of defence and, from 30 yards, let fly to make it 3-1.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 3 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 4 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 5 Rewarding first night back For Sidmouth Running Club
- 6 Young Vikings enjoy victory on the main pitch
- 7 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 8 It's our time to share our fortune and 'do our bit' as we start to re-open
- 9 Claire leaves political spotlight
- 10 Town is spruced up as excitement is in the air for future
Winkleigh made it 3-2 and, during the final hectic minutes, the home team rode their luck at times, but held on to claim a win.
Colaton Raleigh Reserves lost 3-1 at Tedburn St Mary, Mark Gerry scored for Raleigh.
Colaton Raleigh boss Riki Pitter, said "It was a scrappy game. Winkleigh played well and we didn't. But if you can have an off day and still win, that shows as a team we are moving in the right direction."
This saturday the first team travel to North Tawton, and the Reserves host Met Office at Newton Poppleford. K.O 2.15pm.