The Mighty Green conquers the Great West Run
- Credit: Archant
One of Exeter’s biggest sporting events took place last weekend when the Great West Run returned, writes Monica Read.
The annual half marathon, now in its 32nd year, saw 2,500 participants race through the city’s streets for 13.1 miles cheered on by thousands of supporters.
Sidmouth Running Club fielded a near battalion with at least 15 runners in the ‘Mighty Green’ in Exeter last Sunday.
Leading the way for the East Devon club was experienced speed man Justin Ashby, who turned in an impressive 32nd position overall before commenting, ‘Oh man, that was hard work’.
Justin was hotly pursued by Sidmouth runners Antony Hall and Julian Bartlett. Father and daughter duo Alan and Sasha Colwill turned in sub 2hr times, as did the Queen of Stamina, Jo Earlam, in the final stage of her campaign to complete 10 half marathons in four weeks.
You may also want to watch:
David Wright, Rocker Sheppard and Paul Wright narrowly missed the 2hr mark, and were closely followed in by Sam Ingram and Kat Hall - secret training from Mike Lee delivered an excellent result in under 2hrs and 10 minutes.
Amelia Frankpitt, was not far behind, going from strength to strength and the Mighty Green field was completed by good runs from John Sharples and Christie Ward.
- 1 Sidmouth candidates looking for your vote at the County Council elections
- 2 Otter Valley candidates get ready for County Council elections
- 3 Town council vacancies to be filled at the ballot box
- 4 Can you help Ottery become plastic free?
- 5 Tributes paid to GP who dedicated 36 years to Sid Valley patients
- 6 Three Barbaras and a dog move in at Lockyer Lodge
- 7 Build Back Fairer by supporting Fairtrade in Sidmouth
- 8 Hotels are reopening soon - lets hope they can stay that way
- 9 The return of Covid to the streets of Sidmouth, and what St George did next!
- 10 Initial details revealed for this year's week-long Folk Festival