The Sidmouth Herald 2016 Festive Sports Quiz
PUBLISHED: 08:44 24 December 2016 | UPDATED: 08:44 24 December 2016
Here's the Sidmouth Herald Sports Quiz for the 2016 festive season.
Here’s the Sidmouth Herald Sports Quiz for the 2016 festive season.
Why not copy and paste the questions and have an impromptu family quiz this festive 2016.
1. Where do the English Rugby team play their Home Internationals?
2. What is the ‘perfect score’ in a single game of Ten Pin Bowling?
3. On a standard dart board, what is the lowest number that cannot be scored with a single dart?
4. What is the maximum number of clubs a golfer is allowed in their bag for a round of golf?
5. Which TV sports quiz show was hosted by Nick Hancock?
6. What nationality is jockey Frankie Dettori?
7. What is the name of the British Triple Jumper who won gold at the 2000 Olympics?
8. In Snooker what colour is the ball that has a value of three points?
9. True/False: Frank Bruno never won the WBC Heavyweight Boxing Title.
10. In what sport would you find a Bagel?
11. At which cricket ground would you find the Nursery End?
12. In Rugby Union, what number does the hooker have?
13. What is the name of the Dallas American Football team?
14. In cricket, what does LBW stand for?
15. To which sport does the ‘butterfly’ stroke belong?
16. Into what two types of events is athletics divided?
17. What is the main trophy in American Baseball?
18. How many balls are used in a game of Pool?
19. Who was said to ‘float like a butterfly, sting like a bee’?
20. The term ‘Face off’ is used in which sport?
21. At which racecourse is the Grand National run?
22. Which cyclist won the Tour De France seven consecutive times?
23.On a darts board, what number is diagonally opposite 19?
24. In the game of snooker, how many balls are present on the table at the beginning 25 .Who was the first unseeded man to win Wimbledon’s Mens Singles Title?
26 How many players are there in a Rugby League team?
27. Which sport is Silverstone most associated with?
28. In 2004, the Olympic Games ‘came home’ to which city?
29. What is the name given for one stroke over par for a single hole in golf?
30. 1996, whose ear did Mike Tyson partially bite off in the ring?
31. Which country won their first ever Davis Cup title in 2016?
32. Which Formula One racing driver announced his retirement in December 2016, five days after winning the World Championship title?
33. How many people have held the post of England national football team manager during the course of 2016?
34. At which racecourse is the St Leger Stakes run?
35. How many times has the Summer Olympic Games been held in Greece since the first modern Olympic Games in 1896?
36. What is the minimum number of darts required to achieve a score of 501?
37. Which Essex-born snooker player earned the nickname ‘The Rocket’?
38. In which sport do the Pittsburgh Steelers compete?
39. Which football player holds the record for most goals scored in the Premier League?
40. Which sport contests the ‘Americas Cup’?
Answers: 1, Twickenham; 2, 300; 3, 23; 4, 14; 5, They Think Its All Over; 6, Italian;
7, Jonathan Edwards; 8, 3; 9, False (He won it in 1995); 10; Tennis (A set won or lost 6-0); 11, Lords; 12 Two; 13, Dallas Cowboys; 14, Leg Before Wicket; 15, Swimming; 16, Track and Field; 17, The World Series; 18, 16; 19, Muhammad Ali; 20, Ice Hockey; 21, Aintree; 22, Lance Armstrong; 23, 1; 24, 22; 25, Boris Becker; 26, 13; 27, Motor Racing; 28, Athens; 29, A Bogey; 30, Evander Holyfield; 31, Argentina; 32, Nico Rosberg; 33, 3 (Roy Hodgson, Sam Allardyce and Gareth Southgate); 34, Doncaster; 35, 3 times (It was held in Athens in 1896, 1906 and 2004); 36, Nine (There are a variety of ways to achieve this, one being to score treble 20 (60) seven times in a row (=420), followed by treble 19 (57 – total is now 477) and then double 12 (24 – total is now 501); 37, Ronnie O’Sullivan; 38, American Football; 39, Alan Shearer (260 goals); 40, Sailing.
Now try our 2016 sporting test
1. Who won the 2016 Tour de France.
2. Who won Wimbledon?
3. Which horse won the Grand National?
4. Who won the Champions League?
5. Who was the top scorer in the English Premiership?
6. Who won the World T20 held in India?
7. Who won the English cricket county championship?
8. Who won the first GB gold medal of the 2016 Olympics?
9. Who won rugby’s English Premiership?
10. Who scored the England goal in the Euro 2016 2-1 loss to Iceland?
11. Who won the snooker world championship in May 2016?
12. Who won the World Darts title in early January?
13. From which country did the winners of both the men’s and women’s London Marathon races come from?
14. Who was the surprise winner of the Spanish Grand Prix to become the youngest ever Grand Prix winning driver?
15. Which two teams contested the 2016 Football League Championship play-off final at Wembley?
16. Who did Anthony Joshua defeat to retain the International Boxing Federation title in December?
17. Newcastle Eagles were crowned British champions in what sport?
18. In the BBC Sports Personality of the year award which team were runners-up to Leicester in the ‘top team’ category?
19. Who were crowned the 2016 Rugby League Kingstone Press Championship winners?
20. Who helped his brother over a finishing line in Rio in 2016?
Answers to the 2016 Sports Quiz: 1, Chris Froome; 2, Andy Murray; 3, Rule the World; 4, Real Madrid; 5, Harry Kane with 25 goals, 6, West India, 7, Middlesex; 8, Adam Peaty; 9, Saracens; 10,Wayne Rooney.; 11,Mark Selby; 12 Gary Anderson; 13,Kenya; 14; Max Verstappen; 15, Hull and Sheffield Wednesday; 16, Eric Molina; 17;Basketball, they won the British Basketball League: 18, The GB ladies Olympic Hockey gold medal winning team: 19, Lee Centurions; 20, Alistair Brownlee helped brother Jonny over the finishing line of the Olympic Triathlon in Rio.