Tipton 2nds in eleventh heaven!
Lapford 2nds 0 Tipton St John 2nds 3
ANOTHER tremendous result for Tipton St John 2nds saw the undefeated table-toppers bag their 11th straight league win with a 3-0 victory over Lapford 2nds.
Going to Lapford was never going to be easy playing on a pitch that was far from perfect, writes Mike Dawe.
Tipton came out of the blocks fast and confident and were unlucky when Nick Roberts passed back to Curt Winchcombe at the edge of the area, but his shot was miraculously saved by the Lapford keeper.
Ten minutes later James Youlden was brought down when he burst into the area from the left wing.
You may also want to watch:
Winchcombe converted confidently from the spot.
The rest of the first half saw both sides cancel each other out.
- 1 Safety, security and sustainability at Sidmouth Town
- 2 Tipton St John children's author wins national award for pioneering work
- 3 Fishing vessel rescued by Exmouth RNLI
- 4 "Whoever you are, the county council will almost certainly play some role in your everyday life"
- 5 Police to use ANPR cameras to enforce Covid rules across Devon
- 6 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 7 Retired GP's 'curated anthology' of fly fishing experiences
- 8 Friends of the Byes are helping to to save life on earth starting with a bramble bank
- 9 Dom Bess representing Sidmouth in Sri Lanka
- 10 Sid Vale Association marks its 175th anniversary
Tipton found it difficult to play the quick passing football they are accustomed to on a difficult pitch.
The second half saw Tipton start quickest, and with Lapford still unsettled after ten minutes, converted their second when Barry Wood lobbed the ball over the keeper on the right to find the head of Roberts.
With Tipton’s determination and desire to win, Lapford rarely had a chance to score themselves other than from set pieces.
When Tipton’s third goal went in, a shot from the edge of the area from man of the match Matt Daly, Lapford were never going to get back into the game.
Tipton 2nds next home game home is against Otterton on Saturday (November 19) with a 2:15pm kick-off.