Tipton beaten at home despite fine shift from Haydn Banfield
- Credit: Archant
Tipton St John 1, Bickleigh 3 After playing so well the previous week Tipton should have been full of confidence, but started this game quietly, writes Richard Williams.
They did have a chance after five minutes when Hadyn Banfield hit a rasping free-kick which the keeper managed to punch off his line. The ball rebounded to James Callard who shot wide.
Tipton then had the majority of the ball without creating any clear chances, but were caught out by a Bickleigh break after 16 minutes which resulted in their first shot of the game ending up in the back of the net to give them an undeserved lead.
Five minutes later Jody Freeman received the ball from a throw-in, but shot straight at the keeper.
On the stroke of half-time Freeman hit a long-range effort straight at the keeper.
You may also want to watch:
Tipton came out for the second half in dominant mood and started to put real pressure on the Bickleigh defence.
On 48 minutes Banfield hit a scorching 25-yard shot which smashed against the outside of the post.
- 1 Sidmouth artist paints a picture of hope for the NHS
- 2 Nicola hoping to inspire Sidmouth slimmers through weight loss
- 3 'It’s amazing how much you take for granted and how much we have to be grateful for'
- 4 17th century chest from Ottery manor to be auctioned
- 5 'Follow the spirit of the lockdown restrictions'
- 6 Commemorative elm tree planted to mark National Tree Warden scheme's 30th anniversary
- 7 Free Zoom workshop for parents, carers and professionals during Lockdown
- 8 Police chase driver facing jail for 90mph pursuit in country lanes
- 9 Lottery funding for fishermen's shed project
- 10 £12,500 donated to lockdown laptops for schools appeal
Two minutes later Adrian Small made a fine run with the ball through the defence but his shot went just too wide.
Three minutes later he again went close when his shot was saved high up in the corner of the goal by the Bickleigh keeper.
Tipton continued to dominate and their pressure was rewarded on 57 minutes when Neil Gooding hit a fine shot from the edge of the area. The keeper did well to parry it but it rebounded to Callard for an easy tap in equaliser.
Ten minutes later Callard again went close when he hit a superb shot only to see it smash into the angle of post and crossbar.
Tipton continued to press for the lead and were caught out on 73 minutes when Bickleigh made their first break of the half and took the lead with a well struck shot.
Three minutes later they had a free kick in their own half which beat the defence and a striker smashed home a fine shot to give them a 3-1 lead with their third shot of the game.
Tipton came close to pulling one back on 82 minutes when Kev Sexton made a fine run on the left before laying the ball inside to Jody Freeman, who in turn laid it in to Banfield who shot wide.
Tipton came away from the game not sure how they had lost it and the effort they put in deserved more.
Man of the Match for them was midfielder Hadyn Banfield who had a fine game throughout.