Tipton CCs Phil Tolley crowned ‘Batsman of the Year’ for 13th consecutive season
- Credit: Archant
Tipton St John Cricket Club held its annual dinner and awards evening at Woodbury Park, writes Phil Wright.
Club captain David Alford reflected on an enjoyable season despite the problems he had in fielding a full team each week.
During the campaign the team enjoyed a dozen victories, lost 17 times and two of the matches ended in ties.
Phil Tolley won the batsman of the year award for the 13th consecutive season having scored 991 runs at an average of 82.5
David Birch was rewarded with the bowling award due to his economical bowling. His 25 wickets cost just 3.1 runs per over.
You may also want to watch:
David O'Higgins took most wickets (41) and was presented with a mounted ball to commemorate getting five wickets in three consecutive matches in September.
Fielder of the year was David Thayre taking 18 catches and being responsible for five run-outs.
- 1 Ottery Primary pupils' pedal power shines through at hill climb
- 2 Public help needed to find wild violets around East Devon
- 3 Stuart Hughes retains Sidmouth county council seat
- 4 Sidmouth electric car club survey launched
- 5 Property of the Week: Flat 2 Bedford
- 6 A tussle for the ages at Ottery Bowls
- 7 Jess Bailey secures a seat at Devon County Council
- 8 Reid family follow in the footsteps of Sir Captain Tom
- 9 Paedophile hunters' sting in Sidbury leads to prosecution
- 10 Photographic competition challenges snappers to spring into action
Other awards included Al Matthews, who received the 'Clubman of the Year' award and Dave Jessop was presented with the 'President's Award'.