Tipton clear at the top

Beacon Knights 2, Tipton St John 3

D & E Div 1

Bottom of the League Beacon Knights took the lead after 26 minutes with a soft goal from a 25-yard effort which went low into the left corner of the net, writes Richard Williams.

Tipton then struggled to get any fluency going in the rest of the half and Beacon Knights looked the team more likely to score going close with a shot just over after 41 minutes and were foiled by a good save with his feet by Strawbridge a minute later.

Tipton came out in the second half in more determined fashion and Lee Strawbridge saw his header from a corner on 49 minutes go just wide. A minute later he got Tipton’s equaliser with a close range header from a long throw which was headed back to him by Jody Freeman at the far post.

You may also want to watch:

Beacon retook the lead only three minutes later with an unstoppable 25 yard bullet of a shot and they came close to increasing their lead on 62 minutes when Dale Strawbridge made another fine one-on-one save.

Tipton finally started to play some decent football and Jamie Connett saw his 65th minute shot from 18 yards just clear the bar and a minute later a fine move ended with Ash Small passing to Danny Green who smashed his shot from 16 yards - only to see a brilliant save from Beacon’s keeper diving full length to his left. Tipton scored a great goal on 77 minutes to pull level when Small made a great run on the left wing and Adam Connett laid the ball back for left back Glen Salter to smash home. Tipton finally took the lead from a throw in on the right which was headed on by Danny Green to Ash Small in the area, who hit a sweet shot into the net low to the keeper’s right. During an incredible 10 minutes of added on time Glen Salter had a shot saved and Danny Green had a goal ruled out for offside.

Most Read

Beacon Knights then nearly snatched a point right at the end when Strawbridge did well to palm a header from a long throw over the bar. This was not one of Tipton’s better performances but in the second half they did what they do best when not playing well and dug in and grafted until things started to improve and in the end took all 3 points from a game which lesser Teams would have lost. Man of the Match was Glen Salter who was nonstop throughout and also chipped in with a great goal.

Next match Tipton are away to Exeter Civil Service. Kick off 3pm.

Otterton 0 , Tipton St John 2nds 1

Tipton went 11 points clear at the top of Division 8 when they were entertained by Otterton last Saturday, writes Mike Dawe.

Winning this game stretched Tipton’s lead to help their promotion push. With just eight games to play, Tipton are in a great position. Tipton showed their strength and desire to win this game from kick off.

Jonny Beer went close twice in the first half when his efforts skimmed the left post. Curtis Winchcombe had a free kick taken from the edge of the area, which almost found its way past the Otterton keeper again, missing the left post by a couple of feet. Tipton’s continued pressure gained them many free kicks and long throws, but the Otterton defence and keeper dealt with everything Tipton threw at them. Will Cowley, the Tipton keeper pulled off a remarkable save palming the ball over his cross bar when Otterton shot from the eighteen yard line.

The game was a battle between the teams throughout there being very little between the sides, until the 60th Minute when James Youlden latch onto a ball on the edge of the area scoring in the bottom right of the goal. Tipton one up, kept their shape, focus and disciplined throughout the remainder of this game and could have score again when Nick Roberts broke through easily, side stepping the advancing keeper, but taking the ball wide shooting the ball into the side netting. George Biggs Tipton Captain (Man of The Match) showed true leadership and maturity for a teenager and lead by example from the back. Unfortunately this game was tarnished by the stupidity of the Otterton’s forward when out of frustration head butted Biggs in the 80th minute, who was carried off and substituted. The player not being reprimanded for his behaviour as the incident was not seen by the referee. Tiptons next match is away to Woodbury 2nds on Saturday 10th March 3pm kick off followed by a re arranged quarter final cup game against Topsham on Sunday 11th March 2pm kick off.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus