Tipton in good heart
In this season of ups and downs Tipton St John CC have both been on the receiving end of heavy defeats and convincing victors themselves, on those occasions where everything happens to click, writes David Birch.
Sunday was one of those days, thanks to a consistent bowling performance which limited visitors Yarcombe and Stockland to an under-par total of 78 all out.
Paul Williamson and David Birch got Tipton off to a great start with two wickets apiece in the first 12 overs which yielded a mere 13 runs. Williamson was particularly difficult to score from, only conceding runs in his sixth over. Spinners Dave O’Higgins and Phil Wright maintained the pressure as Billy Reed, top-scoring with 37, sought to rebuild the early damage.
O’Higgins and Robin Pickering claimed two wickets and Chris Mason one as the visitors’ innings collapsed, thanks in part to the excellent support given to the bowlers by their fielders. Joe Birch took a fine low catch off father David to dismiss Yarcombe skipper Fuzzard, Dave Dawson (in his 900th game for Tipton) took a smart catch off O’Higgins and a stumping off Pickering and there were catches too for Phil Tolley and Adam Gibbins.
Joe Birch and Keith Collins looked comfortable enough opening the Tipton reply until Birch played over a straight one from Fuzzard and, when Collins was caught at cover, Tolley’s 45 not out saw Tipton safely home with Pickering’s watchful support.
You may also want to watch:
The eight wicket victory neatly cancelled out this season’s earlier loss to the same opponents by the same margin and left Tipton in good heart for their final two matches of the season.
- 1 We're open again! Town's traders welcome back shoppers
- 2 Debut in the Dartmoor League
- 3 Stableford jewel for Sidmouth member
- 4 Around the sitting room in 80 days with the amazing Diana, 98
- 5 Escot springs out of lockdown and they're wild about opening again
- 6 Confidence grows for return of traditional high street
- 7 Archie's three marathons in three days charity challenge
- 8 Veterans called to muster in tribute to Prince Philip
- 9 Joma Devon & Exeter League results and fixtures
- 10 Hayman's Butchers 'had been my life' - Stewart Hayman