Tipton on crest of a wave

Tipton St John 2,, University 2nd 1

For the second week running Tipton had a strangely disjointed first half and the University created the only two chances of the half, writes Richard Williams.

. Dale Strawbridge was forced to make a fine save from a powerful 18 yard shot and four minutes later Uni scored from a close range header. The teams cancelled each other out for the rest of the half.

Tipton came out in a much more determined frame of mind for the second half and really dominated from the off, forcing a corner from the restart.

Adam Connett, Glen Salter, Jack Collins and Lee Strawbridge went close, Strawbridge having a header saved on the line.

You may also want to watch:

Tipton continued to dominate but it appeared as if the resolute University defence was going to keep them out, until five minutes from time, when Tipton put together the best move of the match, culminating in Strawbridge heading on to Connett who laid the ball across the box for Glen Salter to smash home a deserved equaliser.

Tipton continued to press and on 89 minutes forced a throw in the left hand corner. The throw was successfully cleared but only as far as Tipton right back, Jamie Connett, who lashed a shot into the top of the net off the underside of the crossbar for a magnificent winning goal from all of 30 yards.

Most Read

Man of the Match for Tipton was Lee Strawbridge, whose magnificent second half efforts spurred the whole team to a hard-earned, but deserved three points.

Next up for Tipton is an away game at Wellington Town.

Tipton St John 2nds 2, Colyton 2nds 1

Half way through the season Tipton remain top of division 8 and they won a very difficult game against Colyton on Saturday, writes Mike Dawe.

The depth of the squad shone through when Tipton found themselves four regular players short due to other commitments and with two players in the starting line up carrying injuries. When Dave Fairweather needed to come off following an ankle injury in the first ten minutes it was clear that the afternoon was going to be a good test for the remaining players.

Tipton buckled down and were rewarded with the first goal when Nick Roberts played a quick one two with Barry Wood taking the ball with great agility to the left of the keeper and, from an angle, placing the ball in the back of the net.

During the second half Tipton created many chances but failed to score the elusive second goal. In the 60th minute, against the run of play, Colyton’s forward eased himself past the Tipton defence and beat the wrong footed Will Cowley. Tipton’s desire to win and hunger for success this season spurred them on and they deserved the second winning goal when Roberts poked in his second from just outside the six yard line. Tipton’s defence held strong for the remainder of the game. Man of the Match was George Biggs. Next game away to Colaton Raleigh 2:15ko.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus