Tipton Reserves win 12-0

For the second match running, a lack of discipline cost Tipton dearly.

During the first half, which rated as the poorest display witnessed, they gave away too many silly free kicks in dangerous areas against a fit, well-organised University side, which needed no such encouragement.

Keeper Barry Wood was called into action early, making a good save after just three minutes, but he could do nothing to stop the University taking the lead after 12 minutes following a move right through the middle of the defence.

Tipton themselves put together a fine move when Ashley Small made a great run on the left before crossing to Adam Connett on the right. He cut inside before laying the ball back to Small, whose shot was well-saved. Sadly, that was the highlight of the first half for Tipton.

University increased their lead following a defensive error on the edge of the Tipton area which allowed them to score an easy goal. Tipton’s task was then made more difficult when they were reduced to ten men on 38 minutes when Ashley Small was given a straight red card for what was deemed to be a two-footed tackle from behind.

You may also want to watch:

Tipton were unlucky to concede a third as keeper Wood dived to make a routine save and the ball hit a large divot taking the ball high over him and into the back of the net. Two minutes later they conceded a sloppy penalty and the University finished the half 4-0 up.

Following what can only be described as an “Anglo Saxon” half time talk from a rightly furious manager, Dave Strawbridge, Tipton responded well and came out and played with pride, determination and no small amount of skill and were rewarded with a well taken goal from Jody Freeman following a fine team move.

Most Read

They again went close shortly afterwards, with Adam Connett shooting just wide. On 62 minutes, captain Neil Gooding beat the defence and bravely got his head to the ball inside the area only to be floored by the advancing keeper. Tipton were rightly awarded a penalty but the keeper escaped any further punishment and then, to rub salt into the wound, made a fine save from the resultant penalty kick.

Tipton continued to press and were almost caught out when the University made a rare break but a close range effort was well saved by Barry Wood.

Tipton pulled another goal back when Glen Salter picked the ball up in midfield 30 yards out, saw the keeper was off his line and hit a superb shot over the top of him into the back of the net.

Tipton continued their great second half effort and it was almost inevitable that they would get caught on the break and, unfortunately, they did. University nicked two late goals to make the score a slightly lop sided 6-2.

Man of the Match for Tipton was Adam Connett. Tipton are home to Cullompton Rangers on Saturday. KO 3pm.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus